2009年12月10日星期四

没有身份证,兴华被捕

初到台湾,住进台北社会服務处的第十天清晨,忽然人声嘈杂,原来是宪警来突击检查,要抓没有身份证,偷渡来台湾的人。当他们到我们的房间,我们拿不出任何证件,因为我们的入境证在下船时被收去了,而我们也不知道要申请身份证。兴华在睡梦中被吵醒,糊里糊涂地就被他们抓去了,身上一块钱也没有。我急中生智,大叫道,“我们不是偷渡进来的,这里有警备副司令的信,请你看看。”他们一看信封,就说,“他我们带去,你去想办法来救他吧!”就放了我一马。

在这异乡的黑夜里,我很害怕,感觉孤单无助。在台北无亲无故,又挺着个大肚子,去找什么人帮忙呢?教会的人才见过一次面,我没有他们的地址,更何况他们也没有能力帮我们。当我自怜过后向主祈求时,神使我想起了郭骥先生。幸亏要了他的地址,等天一亮,我就去他家找他。原来他的家在爱国西路警备总部附近,门口有守卫。他们看到一大清早一个年轻的孕妇来找郭主任,觉得很讶异。我镇定地叫他们去通报,“十天前同搭秋瑾轮的孙太太有急事找。”他们很快就叫我进去。郭先生还穿着睡衣,我一看到他,如同看到亲人,不禁哭了起来。他忙不迭地说,“发生了什么事?孙兴华呢?”问清了原委,他安慰我别着急。穿戴整齐后,他带我去办公室,写了一封短信给省警务处长王成章,叫他快些放人,如果孙某有何不测,唯他是问。郭先生叫我赶快去服务处附近的派出所,找到兴华就交信给他,若审问时即亮出此信。

我向他道谢后,赶紧去派出所,只见几辆巴士正待开动,每辆都挤满了人。我情急之下,大叫,“Charlie, Charlie,"总算他听到了,挤到窗口,我把信递给了他,车就开走了。我回到住所等他回来,郭先生一两个小时就会打一次电话来问他回来了没有。到了下午还不见人影时,郭先生就打电话给王成章怒斥,但王也不知道这些人去了哪里。

晚上十点半,兴华回来了。又饥又渴,累得连话也不想说。原来从清晨到这时十八个小时他都没有喝过一口水。警方把城中区拘捕的人放在延平国民小学二楼,下面有警察守着。这是台湾最炎热的时候,下面有小贩卖黑松汽水,但是他没有钱买。等到晚上九点半,兴华才被盘问。他就将信拿出来给他们看。他们一看,立即说,“你可以走了。”兴华从延平国小走回馆前街,走了约一个小时。

后来听说那晚台北抓了四千多人。那些可怜没有人保的就被分发到各部队当了军人。我们真是少不更事,怎么可以让入境证被收去?虽然如此,神还是满有怜悯,藉着郭先生来帮助我们。不然兴华可能会沦为架电杆的小兵,而我一个人带着个孩子,命运就更悲惨了。真是满心感谢神的大恩。

后记一:
三十年后,孩子都已长成,我常常回忆过去的往事,不免感到那时太不懂事,竟没有再去向郭先生登门道谢。偶然和好友沈邵达珍(调查局长沈之岳的元配)提起,正巧他们夫妻和郭先生夫妇很熟,就给了我他们的地址,并且告诉我他们也信了主。我就即刻写了一封情词恳切的信给他向他道歉并再致谢意。我也略提我们的近况,表示想去拜访他。过了两天就接到郭先生的电话,我们就约了一个日子去看他。我和兴华带着一些礼物去他家,他和夫人(袁枢真女士,师大艺术系系主任)很亲切地接待我们,殷殷询问我们30年来的生活情形。那种温馨亲切的景象我至今仍历历在目。

后记二:
1949年前后有很多孩子和没有身份的人被莫名其妙地拉去当兵。并不是所有的人都在军中寂寂过了一生。有很多人藉着军中各种机会继续学业,成了社会上的精英。比如说以静在台大外文系的教授朱炎就是13岁跟着军队来台的。

In the early morning of August 1, we were woken up by the clamouring in the building. There was a police sweep for illegal immigrants. When they got to our room, we didn't have any proper identification papers and our entry permit was taken from us when we got off the ship. Charles was not fully awake and only had time to put on his clothes before being hustled out of the door. Panicking, I shouted to the men, "We're not illegals! I have a letter from the Taiwan Garrison to prove it!" They took a look at the envelope and said,"Okay, we'll only take your husband. You go find a way to get him out."

At that moment, in that strange land, I felt completely helpless and alone. After feeling sorry for myself for a while, I started to pray, and while I did that, I was reminded of Mr Guo whom I met on the ship. As the day dawned, I went to look for him. His home was near the Taiwan Garrison HQ and the guards must've been really surprised to see a young pregnant woman looking for Mr Guo so early in the morning. When I got in and saw Mr Guo, still in his pajamas, I bursted out crying. After finding out what had happened, he changed and brought me to his office, wrote a letter to the provincial police chief, demanding the release of Charles. He told me to go back to the neighborhood police post near our place, hand the letter to Charles and tell him to give the letter to the investigator. I quickly got there and a few buses loaded with people were about to leave. I called out Charles's name loudly a few times, and finally he heard me and got the letter from me through the window.

Back home, I started to wait. Mr Guo called every couple of hours. Finally, when he heard that Charles was still not back in the afternoon, he called the police chief personally but even the latter did not know where these people were.

Charles came home at around 10:30pm. He was so exhausted that he could hardly talk. It turned out that he had not even had a sip of water since his arrest, almost 18 hours! The men arrested from the central region were kept at a primary school. It was the hottest time of the year. There were vendors selling soda, but Charles left in such a hurry, he didn't have any money. He was finally called for questioning at 9:30pm. Once the investigators saw the letter from Mr Guo, they released him. He walked all the way home which took about an hour!

It was reported that about four thousand people were arrested that day. Those poor souls without recourse were sent to the armed forces as soldiers. If not for the merciful God who rescued Charles through Mr Guo, he would have become one of them, and I, a single mother. Even today as I reminisce about this episode, I'm filled with thanks and praise for God's amazing grace.

Prologue I:
Thirty years on after my children were grown, I often thought about the wonderful Mr Guo and felt bad about not thanking him again face to face after the event. I mentioned this matter to my good friend Da Zhen (Former Investigative Bureau chief Mr Shen Zhi Yue's first wife) and she told me she and her husband were good friends with the Guos and that they had become Christians as well. I was elated and wrote a long letter to Mr Guo, thanking him again for what he had done, apologying for not keeping in touch and told him about our life in the ensuing three decades. I asked for permission to pay him a visit. Two days later, Mr Guo called me and Charles and I visited him one afternoon shortly afterwards. Mr Guo and his wife received us warmly and we had a beautiful closure.

Prologue II:
Numerous children, teenagers and people without identity papers were forced into the army around 1949. Not all of them ended their lives sad and forgotten. Many used the opportunities provided by the army and government to further their studies and became successful in their chosen professions. One such example is my daughter Lisa's English professor, former Dean of the College of Arts in National Taiwan University, Zhu Yan, who joined the army at age 13.

没有评论: